Many would-be authors have a great book inside them, but most will never be written, and that’s a shame. Isn’t it time for you to quit making excuses, and write the book you’ve been dreaming about?
What keeps people from successfully writing the book of their dreams? Typically, would-be authors allow their lack of confidence, or a few flimsy excuses to stand in their way. But don’t be deterred any longer, because I’m going to show you ten ways to overcome obstacles and boost your writing confidence.
Who exactly is capable of writing a great book, or the next bestseller? A lot more people than you might think. There are literally thousands of great writers who have amazing stories to tell. But here’s the kicker: They’ll never be discovered until they get off the sneid, and start writing.
Is it possible that YOU could be the next author to hit the bestseller’s list? I hope so, because that would be really cool But even if your book doesn’t ascend to the top of the charts, it’s still worth writing, isn’t it? After all, good books, told-right are always welcome in the publishing world.
Ten excuse-busters to help you write your dream-book at last:
1. IT’S YOUR DREAM. How do I know that? If it weren’t your dream, you wouldn’t be reading this article right now! What have you done with your dream? Have you pursued it? Worked diligently toward fulfilling it? Or have you allowed the excuses of life, and mental obstacles to kill it? Sounds like an easy question to answer, doesn’t it? But for many would-be authors, the right answer; the one that leads them to fulfill their book-writing goal, is never discovered. And that’s a shame, because your dream, if channeled properly, can become a powerful driving force in your life.
If you possess the personal passion that’s needed to fulfill your dream, and are willing to devote yourself to achieving it, then quite possibly, your dream may come true. But it can only happen if you dare to believe that dreams are worth pursuing.
2. YOU just might have a story worth telling. I hope you don’t think the only people capable of writing good stories, or creating quality books are those being published already, because that’s just NOT true!
Popular opinion suggests there re no new stories to be told. You know, that all the good ones have already been written. But isn’t it amazing, that every now and then, an inspired author will challenge the limits of creativity, and give us something fresh and wonderful to read again?
Why shouldn’t that special someone be YOU? After all, if someone is going to do it, why should it be other writers all the time?
Personally, I believe everyone has a great story to tell, an amazing book to write, or good advice to pass along. The problem is, most non-published authors don’t REALLY think they have anything to say.
Louis L’Amour, the famous western writer, said, “Folks is folks wherever you find them.” If that’s true (and I believe it is), then why shouldn’t YOU have a tale to tell, and a great book to write? After all, the only thing that separates you from published authors is – they have already been published, and you haven’t. So what – that doesn’t make their writing skills superior to yours, does it?
I hope you’re paying close attention to what I’m saying, because it’s important for you to grasp this point if you are going to produce the kind of books you’re capable of creating. You must believe that you possess the talent, the creative ability, and the necessary initiative to write your book successfully, or you’ll never pull it off. For without tenacity, perseverance, and the right attitude, you will not succeed in the publishing world, because doors only swing open for those who knock loud and long enough.
Do you have what it takes to keep trying, even when others tell you to quit? Many successful authors had to battle through unbelievable rejection and incredible obstacles, before they finally got published. And chances are, your journey won’t be that dissimilar from theirs. So keep on persevering, even when it would be easier to quit.
3. Are YOU an expert? If so, then use your expertise to write a book that will benefit others in your field, or assist people in making decisions that will make life better for them.
Personally, I find it very frustrating to go into the bookstore, in search of a book on a particular subject, only to find none. This trend holds especially true in the techno, writing and historical sections. Sometimes, dozens of nearly identical books have been written about the same subjects, but not a single volume on the subject you need.
Someone needs to fill in the blanks! Even though more books are being published now than ever before, there are still plenty of empty niches in the publishing world that are begging creative writers, and experts like you, to fill them. Take it from an author, who is an avid reader: The book world needs your help! We need authors who will actually use their experience, talent and expertise to widen the genre list, and help create books that people really want to buy.
4. Help wanted: Authors who will write good, clean, creatively written books, the whole family can enjoy. In the publishing world today, there’s no shortage of authors who rely on the cheap crutches of sex, violence, and filthy language to make their books sell. And that’s sad, because great storylines don’t need immoral or offensive crutches to make people buy them.
Growing up, my parents told me, “Intelligent people don’t need to use foul language.” That’s the same way I feel about book publishing. Creative writers don’t need to use sex, violence or offensive language to sell books. If anything, it cheapens the story, and makes it unacceptable to people, who otherwise would have purchased their writings. Remember this: If the story is well-told and engaging, it will sell itself.
Need proof that clean books sell? Let me introduce you to Jan Karon (though she needs no introduction). Her Mitford series of books has sold over 25 million books since 1998. How’s that for a clean book success story? But I hope you don’t think her books are a one-time phenomenon, either, because they’re not. There are enough good clean books at the top of the current and all-time bestseller charts to inspire anyone to go clean.
5. “Nothing ventured, nothing gained.” I hate using old adages to illustrate new points, but that particular one applies here. The truth is; if you sit on your laurels and do nothing, you can expect to accomplish exactly that in life.
You’ll never become a published author unless you put your fingers to the keyboard and start typing. It’s as simple as that. To win the marathon, you have to run the race. To go to the moon, you have to become an astronaut. I wish there was a 1-2-3 formula for writing bestseller books, but there isn’t. It just takes a lot of hard work – and nobody can do it for you.
Now don’t take me wrong. I’m not saying that writing isn’t fulfilling, or pleasurable, because many authors enjoy it (I know I do). But whether you find it enjoyable or not, that doesn’t change the fact that it still requires many hours of hard work.
If you are hoping to get rich quick off your writing ability, you might be disappointed, because most authors don’t find the pot of gold at the end of their story’s rainbow. Then again, in the publishing world today, you never know, it could happen. Every year, new writers hit it big, and best of all, you never know who it will be. So maybe, just maybe, that someone will be you. Of course, there’s no way of knowing who will write the next book that tops the charts, but one thing we do know; that someone will definitely NOT be you, unless you write a book, and submit it to the publishing process.
6. You’re not too old! It’s my conviction that some of the best books reside within those who are over forty. They have the training, the knowledge, the history, the experience and often, the necessary time to devote to writing great books, but sadly, many ‘older’ people never do it. And you want to know why? Most often, they think they’re too old to do it. You know what I say to that? Humbug!
How can I say that? I was past forty when I started writing my first book, and since then, I have written four more, plus several guides for group and individual studies. Want to know what I learned from the process? If I was able to do it, why shouldn’t you be able to do it, too?
Think of it this way: What does it matter how old you are? You can’t change your age, anyway, so why don’t you do what you’ve always dreamed of doing, and stop worrying about how many ticks are left on the clock! Wouldn’t you prefer to leave this world fulfilling your dream, instead of wasting your remaining years doing nothing, while wishing you had?
7. You can find the time, if you know where to look! Yeah, yeah, yeah – I know how hectic life can get, and how scarce time can be. But if you are ever going to fulfill your dream, you have to find a way to overcome this obstacle. Here’s a hint: Try swapping some of the elective activities in your life for quality writing time. What do I mean by that? During the course of a seven-day period, everyone wastes time. Your assignment is to find those wasted hours and convert them into writing time.
How can you convert wasted hours for usable ones? Start by tracking your activities for the next few weeks. This will give you a good idea of what your time inventory looks like. Next, you need to decide which of those hours can successfully be converted into writing time.
Some of the items on your list might include excessive sporting activities, trips to the mall, time spent surfing the web, mindless television viewing, or even your hobbies. Now, I am not suggesting that you quit interacting with family and friends, sell your home, move to Montana, buy a shack and start writing. But with careful planning, you might find a few hours every week that you can devote to writing.
8. If you’re not creative enough to write fiction, write something else! Who said you have to write fiction? Fiction is only one genre among many. Besides, it’s the most flooded part of the book market, anyway. You’d actually be much better off finding a different niche, than trying to replicate the hundreds of established fiction writers at the top of the bestseller list.
What can you write, if you don’t write fiction? You can write whatever you want to write! Go into your favorite bookstore, and look at all options. A few of the categories include: children, fix-it, self-help, advisory, hobbies, travel, relationships, problem-solving, religion, lifestyle, leadership, poetry, biography, media, sports, finance, reference, and a whole lot more.
An excellent method for determining what book to write, is to use the same formula entrepreneurs use when starting a new business. Start by answering these two questions, and you might be on your way: What topics (subjects) are you most passionate about? What do you enjoy talking about, or doing, more than anything else?
What comes next? Use the passion you have for your hottest-topic to inspire readers. Will it work? It has worked exceptionally well for thousands of other authors, so there’s no reason it shouldn’t work for you. For one thing, your passion will be evident when you write about something you really enjoy. Your readers will pick up on it, too, and will enjoy it much more than a book that was written for lesser reasons.
9. Your style may not be what publishers are looking for? Who said every book needs to be written in the same style, anyway? Do we all go to the same store, and buy identical outfits to wear? Of course not. After all, we aren’t clones.
So why should your creative writing style be any different? When you sit down to the keyboard, try being a trendsetter, and write something different from the rest of the books out there. Be uniquely you! And perhaps, you will find success in it.
10. What if your book is not mainstream enough? Write for pleasure. Enjoy what you are doing, and it will be a success. If your book doesn’t have a strong tie-in to a specific category, then develop a slant that will connect your book with an existing niche, or create a new niche.
Every book in the publishing world doesn’t fit neatly into the confines of established topic headings, anyway. This is especially evident in the world of technical writing. As technology expands, so do the categories and sub-categories that try to contain them. But what happens when technological advancements fail to fit into existing topic headings? Publishers make new ones.
If you create a book that is worth reading, I believe publishers will discover a way to sell it.
Let’s wrap it up.
OK, it’s time to get that book written! Got it? So repeat after me. “I am not going to allow excuses to keep me from writing the book of my dreams anymore! Starting today, I am going to pursue my dream, write from the heart, and get it done!”
Before we finish up, however, I want you to consider this: “Do you have what it takes to fulfill your dream, and get that book written?”
I wish I could answer that question affirmatively, for you, but I can’t. So you will have to look deep inside your heart, and answer that question for yourself. I hope you answer it like a thoroughbred answers the bell. If you do, you’ll be on your way to fulfilling your dream. And with that, you’ll find a sense of fulfillment, and quite possibly, a whole lot more!
Even after reading this article, you still might be tempted to reach inside your excuse bag, and find reasons for not pursuing your dream. Sadly, many people do, and that explains why so many dreams go unfulfilled.
Overcoming every obstacle is your job. If you are going to write the book of your dreams, then you have to find a way. That’s the bottom line. You can allow excuses (even legitimate ones) to stand in your way forever, or you can get off the sneid, and conquer them all! The choice is yours.
Starting right now, I hope you will pursue your dream with passion, and fulfill your destiny with purpose. Maybe it will take a little creative shuffling of your life to do it, but I strongly encourage you to find a way to write that book NOW! After all, it’s what you’ve always wanted to do – so don’t waste another minute. Go break out that computer, and write! Who knows, you just might be amazed at the results!